Yes, I KNOW it was almost a week ago now, but here it is anyway. I'm running late to go help out a friend getting audited this week (poor thing), so it will be a simple photo essay. There's no knitting here today, just shots of gratuitous carnivorous behavior ahead. Those of you who might be uninterested in that might want to skip on away now. Just so's you know.
We had the joy this year of spreading the gospel of the deep fried turkey out to the Yankee suburb of Acton, MA. Mmmmmmm........fried.turkey.goooooooood.
Should you require any convincing that this has the potential to be dangerous, go here: http://www.ul.com/consumers/turkeys.html, and make sure you watch the video. I just have one thing to say here about this because while I feel a responsibility to warn you and all, let's just talk about some common sense stuff, shall we? Did you see that video? Were you listening to that crazy scenario they proposed? I mean REALLY - who the f^*k tries to deep fry a partially frozen turkey, for the love of pete? Come ON people, follow some basic rules and we'll all be ok.
1. No drinking until AFTER the turkey is done. I know, can you believe it? It's the ONLY down side to the fried turkey.
2. Thawed turkey only. Hello? Ice. Boiling oil. Do we really need to say anything else here? I didn't think so.
3. OUTSIDE. (I can't believe I had to say that)
4. NO, your wooden deck is not 'safe enough'. Grass is ok, though.
5. Kids & dogs? INSIDE. Unless your yard is seriously huge. Like, say, an acre or so, and even then...well, I don't know about y'all, but there were some TERRIBLE kids in our family and we, er, THEY had to be kept inside to be sure we didn't do stuff like toss grapes from the fruit salad into the oil when no one was looking. What? It's awesome! When they hit the oil they explode and shi...*ahem*...I mean, yeah, keep the kids inside. Just sayin'.
So -- if you are already familiar with the dangers (and we are) and are willing to go forward with the yumminess anyway (which we were), here goes.
Aw yeah - the one time that getting 'juiced' is good for you...
Hangin' out, awaiting it's fate.
Oh, and remember how I said to respect some safety rules and stuff? Yeah, well, it is also possible to 'over-engineer' a situation, and when 5 out of the 6 adults present are scientists/engineers... uh huh. Check out that soccer-goal-as-saftey-frame goodness. Right now, somewhere in Louisiana, someone is reading this and has just peed their pants from laughing so hard. Yeah, it was totally unnecessary, but fun to watch them set up, so what the heck. It's not like we could have been drinking yet anyway. Rule #1, remember?
Et voila! C'est fini!
Now a close up of this crispity fabulousness (and yes, in my other hand, there is indeed now a cocktail. what? )
Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! Hope your day(s) were also filled with fun, friends, and family. And maybe some wine, you know, if you like that sort of thing.