I'm trying to pick yarn for my Olympic sweater, so I'm collecting contenders over at my blog. The (somewhat flexible) rules are:
- No animal fibers. This includes wool, angora, cashmere, alpaca, etc.
- No 100% cotton. If I knit only pure cotton for 16 straight days, my arms will be in casts by the time the flame goes out. Also, the synthetics help with durability.
- Must be machine washable. How can it become my new Favorite Sweater if I have to hand wash it?
- Gauge should be between 4 and 5.5 stitches over four inches. I want it to look sophisticated -- but I don't want it to take a dog's age to knit.
- Should come in grown-up colors.
I'd love to get more ideas from the Boston peanut gallery -- please chime in (here or at my place) if you have a favorite cotton/synthetic blend. Thanks!